[mythtv-users] Is upgrading an ancient system using apt-get recommended?

David Schmidt david.schmidt.in.dallas at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 12:48:09 UTC 2007

On 5/31/07, William Munson <william_munson at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> David Schmidt wrote:
> > On 5/31/07, William Munson <william_munson at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> >> If I were going to go that route I would
> >> watch everything worth watching and start over fresh with a install of
> >> MythDora or KnoppixMyth. They both should result in a pretty much
> >> painless "lean and mean" myth box.
> >>

> > [this part in response to Brian, as well]
> > Well, it's not stuff I'm not caught up on, it's stuff I want to keep.
> > Recipes from cooking shows I haven't had time to pause every few
> > seconds to transcribe to paper (my other hobby is cooking),
> > performances of music, etc. that aren't available for sale yet, etc.
> >
> > Also, like I said, it's not a dedicated Myth box.  It also has
> > bookmarks, documents, etc. from Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, etc.
> > that if I blew those away WAF would be *ZERO*. (-;
> >

> > Thanks everyone for the input so far.  If someone knows about the
> > viability of using apt-get for the upgrade, feel free to chime in.  I
> > won't have time to do any of it until Saturday, anyway....
> >

> Since you put it that way, I see why you want to keep everything. My
> past experience with apt-get is that it does not handle  large upgrades
> well. If you are happy with what you have now, don't touch it. (Just be
> sure to back everything up as that old of a system is going to develop
> hardware problems at some point.)

Ok, just with fedora-legacy having gone away it's a pain not being
able to easily get new things when I hear about them and wanna try
them out.  Yeah, I can compile from source or occasionally find an old
.rpm somewhere, but apt-get is sooooo much nicer.

Advice taken and appreciated.  If no one responds more positively,
I'll just take this as reason to get moving on my "production" Myth
system.  This one was supposed to be a prototype, but ran so well it's
been my only Myth box for over a year now.....

Thanks, again!