[mythtv-users] Confused about manual schedules

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 08:06:12 UTC 2007

On 30/07/07, Bruce Nordstrand <brucen at ksl.com.au> wrote:
> I am a little confused about manually scheduling something that is not
> yet in the lineup. I don't even know if this is the right way to do what
> I want to do.
>
> To explain. Here in Australia the Australian Rugby Championship will be
> aired live on 2 channels, ABC TV and ABC 2 from the 11th August. What I
> am trying to do is put in "something" that will record all rugby union
> as it appears in the lineups in the future, not only on these 2
> channels, but any channel.
>
> This is where my confusion comes from. Am I doing a Manual Schedule or
> some kind of search? This is pretty much the first time I have tried out
> this feature set hence my confusion.

Title/Power Search:

If you have (or will have) listings data available, you will want to
do a Title Search (or perhaps a Power Search depending on how much
granularity you want in what the recording rule will match).

A title search can match program titles containing whatever is
required (including using regular expressions), so a Title Search
matching "%Rugby Championship%" in a title would record any program
containing "Rugby Championship" in the title.

You may need to be more specific in how you match programs. This is
where the more powerful Power Search comes into play. You can
essentially match any data in the TV listings -
title/subtitle/description/genre etc in each rule. Again, you can use
regular expressions for matching.

The Power Search configurator does a great job of helping you to
quickly construct a rule - you edit it as you go along to tailor it
for your particular search. This will provide the most flexibility in
making sure you do not miss any important shows.

Manual Recording:

If you do not (or will not) have listings data available, you will
need to schedule a Manual Recording. This does not use listings data
for schedule - you mark a block of time on a particular channel and
the scheduler accommodates this. The channel must exist on your MythTV
system - users frequently use this technique to record from channels
they can receive but cannot receive listings data for.

--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/