[mythtv-users] How do you force the display of the Screen Settings - Monitor Aspect Ratio option?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 06:59:00 UTC 2007

On 29/07/07, nospam312 <nospam312 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Is it possible to get this option to appear even if Myth thinks it
> > > does not need to display this option?  I have a 720x576 resolution
> > > that is widescreen but myth thinks its 4:3 and will not display this
> > > option so I can't set it with the correct aspect ratio of 16:9?
> >
> > Have you got a widescreen DisplaySize setting in your xorg.conf file?
>
> No.
>
> I do have Option "DPI" "100x100" which I thought did the same thing?
> Clearly not.
>
> Can you help with what I should be putting in DisplaySize to get it to
> recognise 720x576 as a Widescreen resolution either directly or to get
> Myth to show the option?

There's a good background on this at
http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Display_Size.

If you want a 720x576 (PAL TV?) 16:9 widescreen DisplaySize setting
you want to use:

DisplaySize 260 146 # 16:9 aspect with 720x576 resolution

This bases the 100dpi on the vertical resolution (576) to give 146mm
for the vertical display size. We then scale up the horizontal size by
a ratio of 16:9 to give a horizonal display size of 146 * (16/9) =
260. Note that 720x576 is a 5:4 ratio, so we must adjust the
DisplaySize to cater for a 16:9 aspect.

There is also a possibility that Xinerama in influencing things here,
but trying the DisplaySize setting is a starting point.

--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/