[mythtv-users] Wake-on-lan eureka!

Craig Huff huffcs at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 00:35:05 UTC 2007

Others on this list have made many efforts to set up their system to wake-on-lan, some with success and others :-(.

I had tested it a few weeks ago and it worked, so I set it aside until I was ready to implement it this weekend, but...

This weekend it wouldn't work!  I don't have a clue why it worked before now that I found out what I needed to do to get it
to work.

Long story short, I found I had to have all these ducks lined up to have it work:

1) The command "ethtool eth0" reports after reboots and wakeups from suspend-to-disk that wol is "d" (disabled), so
I had to add a script (which for FC6 I put in /etc/init.d similar to others there and enabled it with chkconfig) to re-enable
wake-on-lan after each system boot.  I also had to add an entry in the hibernate.conf (actually /etc/hibernate/common.conf
for Suspend2 (now TuxOnIce) to issue the same command on resumes from suspend.  YMMV because you may have
a different ethernet driver that is more cooperative than the forcedeth driver needed for my built-in ethernet interface.  From
researching on the web, it appears that some other driver(s) may support an option that can be put in /etc/modprobe.conf
instead of having to bang the driver every time the system starts up.  You might check for one with "modinfo <driver_name>".

2) There are a number of wakeup options that can be enabled/disabled in /proc/acpi/wakeup.  "cat /proc/acpi/wakeup" will
get you a list of the ones for your motherboard along with what the maximum state that it can resume from (IIRC, 4 is
suspend-to-disk and 5 is shutdown).  I found that one of these on my motherboard had to be enabled to get wake-on-lan
to work.  I found the right one by trial and error on an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium to be MMAC.

3) There is (of course) a BIOS setting which seems irrelevant that wasn't :-(  I had to enable "Power on by PCI devices".

Hopefully, this may help some others who thought their system wouldn't support wake-on-lan or who save others who are
just as determined as I was from getting a flatter forehead from head banging while trying to solve the riddle.

Cheers!

Craig.