[mythtv-users] Power outages and UPSs

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jul 27 22:43:56 UTC 2007

On 07/27/2007 05:35 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:
> I like to go to the local computer recycler and pick up old 300 and
> 600 VA APC desktop UPSs for $2 each from the "AS-IS" pile.  99% of
> the time they just need new batteries.  I also have a really nice 900
> VA APC unit I got the same way.  I have a single headless PIII server
> plugged into it and the runtime is close to an hour!

And how long do the batteries tend to last before they need replacing
again?  Seems like mine never go more than a year regardless of how
often they get used (power here is pretty stable--except when I'm
traveling, of course).

I'm considering drastic measures to get something with good quality
batteries and "configurable" runtime --
http://www.dansdata.com/diyups.htm --but still haven't decided if it's a
bad idea.

Mike