[mythtv-users] Very slow navigation in guide

Matt Doran matt.doran at papercut.biz
Fri Jul 27 11:12:47 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm running svn trunk, on a combined frontend/backend, using
blootube-wide theme, with a AMD X2 3600+ so I should have plenty of power.

I have noticed recently that I've had some very slow navigation in the
guide when I have the livetv preview running.  It doesn't happen
consistently ... but I can be navigating around the guide and sometime
it just pauses for 5-10 seconds.  The TV preview is still running
perfectly ... but the guide doesn't change.  Then when it starts
responding it processed all my navigation requests quickly ... like
they've been queued up (e.g. if I press left 5 times ... it might pause
for 5-10 seconds and then move left 5 places).

The problem is intermittent ... but happens regularly, and is very
annoying when it happens.

I've enabled verbose logging, and it seems that the guide performs an
SQL query every second to update the guide data.  When the pause occurs,
the SQL statements stop appearing in the log, and then all appear in
quick succession.  See the logs below.... there is a 13 second delay
between the 2nd and 3rd queries ... and for this time the guide seems to
be frozen.

2007-07-27 20:48:57.012 MSqlQuery: SELECT DISTINCT program.chanid,
program.starttime, program.endtime,     program.title, program.subtitle,
program.description,     program.category, channel.channum,
channel.callsign,     channel.name, program.previouslyshown,
channel.commmethod,     channel.outputfilters, program.seriesid,
program.programid,     program.airdate, program.stars,
program.originalairdate,     program.category_type,
oldrecstatus.recordid,     oldrecstatus.rectype,
oldrecstatus.recstatus,     oldrecstatus.findid FROM program LEFT JOIN
channel ON program.chanid = channel.chanid LEFT JOIN oldrecorded AS
oldrecstatus ON     program.title = oldrecstatus.title AND
channel.callsign = oldrecstatus.station AND     program.starttime =
oldrecstatus.starttime WHERE program.chanid = 2508   AND program.endtime
 >= '2007-07-27T15:00:00'   AND program.starttime <=
'2007-07-27T16:30:00'   AND program.manualid = 0  GROUP BY
program.starttime, channel.channum,   channel.callsign, program.title
ORDER BY program.starttime,
atsc_major_chan,atsc_minor_chan,channum,callsign  LIMIT 1000
2007-07-27 20:48:57.579 MSqlQuery: SELECT icon FROM channel WHERE chanid
= '2508' ;
2007-07-27 20:49:10.014 MSqlQuery: SELECT DISTINCT program.chanid,
program.starttime, program.endtime,     program.title, program.subtitle,
program.description,     program.category, channel.channum,
channel.callsign,     channel.name, program.previouslyshown,
channel.commmethod,     channel.outputfilters, program.seriesid,
program.programid,     program.airdate, program.stars,
program.originalairdate,     program.category_type,
oldrecstatus.recordid,     oldrecstatus.rectype,
oldrecstatus.recstatus,     oldrecstatus.findid FROM program LEFT JOIN
channel ON program.chanid = channel.chanid LEFT JOIN oldrecorded AS
oldrecstatus ON     program.title = oldrecstatus.title AND
channel.callsign = oldrecstatus.station AND     program.starttime =
oldrecstatus.starttime WHERE program.chanid = 2511   AND program.endtime
 >= '2007-07-27T15:00:00'   AND program.starttime <=
'2007-07-27T16:30:00'   AND program.manualid = 0  GROUP BY
program.starttime, channel.channum,   channel.callsign, program.title
ORDER BY program.starttime,
atsc_major_chan,atsc_minor_chan,channum,callsign  LIMIT 1000
2007-07-27 20:49:10.360 MSqlQuery: SELECT icon FROM channel WHERE chanid
= '2511' ;

Anyone else experiencing this?   Does anyone have any ideas why this is
happening?  Or how I can fix it?

I've been running mythtv for about 6 months and have only noticed this
problem more recently.   I regularly update to the latest version of svn
trunk, update to the latest blootube-wide theme ... and I also changed
the source of my guide data.   But I can't figure out if any of these
are the cause.

Regards,
Matt