[mythtv-users] American EPG Data Provider Found?

David Schmidt david.schmidt.in.dallas at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 14:45:39 UTC 2007

On 7/26/07, Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/26/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> > > The url is fixed in the code and not a config setting?
> > >
> > > That was a good idea wasn't it?
> >
> > How many times has someone posted a message to the list saying,
> > "mythfilldatabase isn't working and I'm in the US," and the eventual
> > solution turned out to be, "You're requesting data from the wrong URL.
> > You need to change the URL in your configuration settings"?
> >
> > Zero.  Oh.  Well, then, maybe it was a good idea.
>
> :)
> but, since it 'will' need to be modified this time, maybe it makes
> sense to put it in the config somewhere instead of in the code.  who
> knows, maybe the new data solution will be able to be piggybacked
> worldwide and distributed so Myth users in other countries could use
> it too.  although, being a URL, that may be moot since anyone with
> access to the interWeb should be able to access it...
> but it's usually good design practice to not have hardcoded values...

I wasn't going to chime in before someone else made it a discussion
since it sounds like I'm criticizing when I've contributed 0 lines of
code so far ((-;), but I agree.  When I first heard it was hardcoded I
thought it screamed to be something written to the DB on initial
installation with *no* way to change it through the standard Myth
interface.  That way, newbies can't mess it up but at times like this
it could be easily changed by "power" users.  Even if DD hadn't ended
their service, they could have changed the URL, say, labs.zap2it.com
to datadirect.zap2it.com.