[mythtv-users] Nova-T 500 Ubuntu

James Fidell james at fidell.co.uk
Thu Jul 26 13:20:21 UTC 2007

James Fidell wrote:
> Ben Britton wrote:
>> Apologies to Sophie, I missed your message. It's defiantly a nova-t
>> 500. http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/113946
>>
>> How do I fetch the "/var/log/dmesg or /var/log/kern.log" parts? I'm
>> not *that* new to linux, just a little incompetent sometimes :>
>>
>> And how would I list /proc/bus/pci ?
>>
>> As far as I can work out at the moment, it's being detected as a pci
>> card, but there aren't drivers that are working for the card, and thus
>> it won't load the USB drivers for the Nova-T 500 onboard (if they are
>> still doing it via two USB devices on the card with the card as a USB
>> hub).
>>
>> Thanks for all the help so far :)
>
> I have one of these cards arriving today, with any luck, so I may be
> able to offer some help once it has arrived.

Ok, I have received my card now and plugged it in.

As Henrik says, there appear to be two similar cards, the "diversity"
model having a pair of aerial inputs rather than just one.  Mine is the
diversity model, though it ships in what appears to be a non-diversity
box (the picture on the box doesn't match the contents) with an extra
sticker on to say it's the new model.  On the card it's actually
labelled WinTV-NOVA-TD-500.

The single-aerial card appears to be supported in kernels 2.6.19 up,
or by building the latest v4l as documented here:

http://wiki.efficientpc.co.uk/index.php/Install_Nova-T_500_On_Ubuntu_Linux

I'm using a CentOS5 box which only has the 2.6.18 kernel and the latest
v4l drivers won't build against it.  The most recent build that will
compile (v4l-dvb-65ebaec0d70a) has the dvb_usb_dib0700 module, but that
doesn't appear to find my card.  I may well be building a later kernel
from scratch this evening unless I decide to bite the bullet and install
Fedora 7.

I don't know what the PCI IDs of the pre-diversity cards are, but I'd
assume they're different.  Mine is 0070:6800 and as that's the same as
yours I'd suggest we're in the same boat.

James