[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend weirdness - restarts X server

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Thu Jul 26 04:42:28 UTC 2007

We had a power failure here the other night which outlasted my UPS.  Prior
to that, my combined BE/FE Myth box had been up for about two months;
during that time, I had performed a routine update to the OS.  There were
no problems before.  Now, since the machine came back up after the power
went down, I can't start mythfrontend - it restarts the X server every
time.

There's nothing enlightening in mythbackend.log.  The only clue I can find
is in the X server log:

-- Backtrace:
0: /etc/X11/X(xf86SigHandler+0x71) [0x48f161]
1: /lib64/libc.so.6 [0x2b016c437030]

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

Interestingly, if I ssh in from another box, I can start it remotely and
run most of the utilities remotely (but can't watch any recorded files,
though the thumbnails work).

I have a remote FE box upstairs running the same OS (Mandriva 2007.0
x86-64) which was also upgraded...same problem there when I try to start
the frontend.  My guess is that one of the upgrades broke mythfrontend's
ability to come up.  Maybe X itself....or libc6??

Here's some info on the BE/FE box:

X Window System Version 7.1.1
Release Date: 12 May 2006
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.1.1
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.12-31mdk x86_64
Current Operating System: Linux vader.malibyte.net
2.6.17.14-6mdvmmcustom-k8 #2 PREEMPT Sun Apr 15 01:33:21 PDT 2007 x86_64
Build Date: 17 July 2007

Anyone else seen this and have a possible fix?

TIA
Bob