[mythtv-users] Motherboard with AMD 690G / ATI Radeon x1250 - any good for mythtv?

David George david at thegeorges.us
Thu Jul 26 04:28:04 UTC 2007

On 7/25/2007 11:04 PM, Bob wrote:
> On Thursday 26 July 2007 14:08, Daniel Agar wrote:
>> I just bought an Asus M2NPV-VM, which has everything onboard including tv
>> out and dvi. I put an X2 3800 in it and have been playing 720p and 1080i
>> (recorded through firewire from a STB) reliably on a 720p lcd, without
>> xvmc. The Asus M2N-MX is also a good option with the same stuff onboard
>> but a bit cheaper as it doesn't have firewire. I paid just under $100
>> Canadian for the M2NPV-VM, the M2N-MX is about $80. Oh and my board has an
>> spdif connector but I currently only have a receiver capable of stereo.
>>
>> I don't know how well these ati/amd chipsets work in Linux but I know the
>> ati cards a headache.
>>

> I hadn't considered those boards, mainly because the hardware vendor site I
> was using had them listed as 10/100 LAN (and the MX as a standard ATX) so I'd
> filtered them out... looks like I'll have to go back and eyeball each
> board... grrr.
>
> The VM looks good.  No S/PDIF onboard from what I can tell from the manual
> though, need to buy an extra addon card.  Do you know if you've got a newer
> revision or something?
>
> Definitely looks like the TV-out addon card is included in the box.

The Asus M2NPV-VM is definitely gigabit ethernet.  It also includes a
back panel bracket that has the composite, s-video, and component video
output.  I have about 8 of these motherboards and they work very well.
Some with X2 3600+ and some with X2 4200+.  There is SPDIF on the
motherboard, but you will need to buy or make the adapter.  It also has
VGA and DVI-D on the I/O panel.

If you really want HDMI, I also have the Biostar 7050PV with an X2
4600+.  It doesn't have composite or component video output, but it does
have s-video.  I have never tried the s-video though so can't speak for
it.  This one also has an internal SPDIF header, but does not include
the adapter.  This one has VGA and HDMI on the I/O panel and includes an
HDMI to DVI adapter if I recall.

Not getting the SPDIF adapter in either case is annoying, but they are
both good motherboards.  The SPDIF adapter is easy enough to make if you
have soldering experience, just a couple of capacitors and a resistor.

--
David