[mythtv-users] mythvideo files and commflag

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jul 25 20:43:47 UTC 2007

On 07/25/2007 04:26 PM, Steve MacLaren wrote:
> I have several kids' movie mpegs recorded off TV from my previous PVR
> solution in my mythvideo database.  Since these broadcasts contain
> commercials, I would like to use the commercial flagging/skipping
> routines in Myth to flag, skip and/or remove the commercials.
>
> Searching the list archives has lead me to try myth.rebuilddatabase.pl
> <http://myth.rebuilddatabase.pl> with the --file option as a solution;
> this creates a database entry for the mpeg as if it were an "orphaned"
> recording.  Presumably, then I could run mythcommflag on the file to
> create the commercial flags.  This  creates a new entry under "Watch
> Recordings".
>
> So far, however, my experiment has resulted in an entry in "Watch
> Recordings" for which Myth claims there is no file, and a corrupted
> database that is causing daily backend crashes.

Corrupted DB or corrupted data?  Corrupted DB should be fixed with
optimize_mythdb.pl.  Fixing corrupted data (which can occur while a DB
is corrupted) is not automatic.

> Before I troubleshoot this method further, I just wanted to ask if I
> am pursing the correct/best method to do what I want, or is there
> something much simpler/easier/less disruptive that I should be trying?

That's the "appropriate" solution for getting metadata into the DB as if
the file were originally recorded by the Myth box.  Chances are you used
a version of myth.rebuilddatabase.pl that didn't come with your version
of mythtv, so it corrupted the data in your DB.

IMHO, the best solution for your particular case is probably to just use
avidemux2 or something to remove the commercials and leave the
recordings in MythVideo.

Mike