[mythtv-users] American EPG Data Provider Found?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jul 25 16:54:19 UTC 2007

On 07/25/2007 12:20 PM, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2007, at 11.14, Jon Larson wrote:
>>
>> Ivan Kowalenko wrote:
>>>
>>> Oh, and does anyone know if this new EPG system (whatever it is)
>>> is going to require me to upgrade my Myth system?

Almost definitely as the URL used for accessing the service will be
different.  (Note, this doesn't mean that some fancy workaround using a
proxy server solution that you might decide to create for yourself is
impossible.  If the data is in the exact same format, using the (in the
future new) tv_grab_na_sd (? for schedules direct) to get the "raw"
format data could be used with mythfilldatabase --dd-file (or with the
proxy).  There may be other workarounds of varying complexity available,
too, but until the details are known, it's too soon to say.

However, it's quite likely that upgrading to a current version of MythTV
will be easier--and much better in the long term--than "living in the
past." :)  (And think of all the great new functionality (and bug fixes)
you'll get.)

>>> I'm not looking
>>> forward to loading 0.19 onto my XBox, but if that's what it
>>> takes...
>>
>> I also don't expect that you will need to upgrade your xbox
>> frontend--listings are all handled on the backend....
>
> I'm aware that all the listings and recording things are handled by
> the back-end, but I thought back-ends and front-ends had to be
> running the same version of Myth in order to communicate. Or at least
> that's what I was told when I upgraded my system to 0.18-fixes.

Yep.  Still true.

And, really to make things clear to any readers, all components of a
Myth system on all computers connected to that system should be running
the same revisions of the same SVN branch.

If a user chooses to use a release version (which is not recommended as
the SVN -fixes branch is always the preferred version), they must all be
running the release version.

components of a Myth system:
    - backend
    - frontend
    - jobqueue
    - plugins
computers connected to that system:
    - combined frontend/backends
    - dedicated backends
    - dedicated frontends
    - job queue "slaves"
    - etc.
SVN branches:
    - 0.20-fixes
    - SVN trunk
    - mythtv-vid
    - mythtv-multirec
    - etc.

Using plugins with branches that don't include plugins (such as
mythtv-vid or mythtv-multirec) requires the user to verify compatibility
and any problems that occur are the user's responsibility.

Mike