[mythtv-users] Horrible performance fastforwarding HDTV - FIXED

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jul 25 16:24:13 UTC 2007

On 07/25/2007 10:32 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 7/25/07, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> mysqlcheck --auto-repair -u root -p mythconverg
>>>
>> I think this is basically what the CONTRIB script called something
>> like myth_optimisedb (can't remember exact name) is for. I run mine as
>> a cron job on a regular basis and it does all the MythTV tables.
>>
> optimize_mythtv.pl

Exactly.  And, I recommend using the script as it is known to work
properly.  If someone were to run mysqlcheck with the wrong arguments
and claim "it doesn't work," it would be a waste of readers' time since
optimize_mythdb.pl does work.

> but it seems to be broken in SVN at least, as lately I get the error:
>
> Incompatible protocol version (34 != 35) at
> /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/MythTV.pm line 492.
> Use of uninitialized value in string ne at
> /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/MythTV.pm line 209.
> Unable to connect to mythbackend, is it running?

You haven't upgraded your Perl bindings properly.  My guess is you
didn't account for http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/12387/ .
(Granted, even someone reading the commits list may have missed that the
changeset required their deleting the old directory.  It would have
taken a very observant reader to notice.)

Do you have a /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/MythTV/Socket/ directory that
contains a file MythTV.pm?  If so, it's from an older install and the
/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/MythTV/Socket directory (and contents)
should be deleted.  It now lives in
/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/IO/Socket/INET/MythTV.pm.

Please verify that the new version exists before deleting the old.  This
advice is provided "as is" with no warranty of any kind, either express
or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and noninfringement.
Mike Dean is not liable for any damages, including any consequential
damages, of any kind which may result to the user from following his
advice.  The user shall indemnify and hold harmless Mike Dean from and
against any claims, liabilities, losses, costs, damages, or expenses
(including attorney's fees) arising from the user's use of this
information.  Gameplay may change while online.  Etc.

(In other words, please feel free to verify with Chris Petersen that my
advice is Perl-sound.  But, if nothing else, deleting the entire
/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/MythTV/ directory and re-installing from SVN
should fix it.  The bindings work for me.)

Mike