[mythtv-users] Seeking Advice

Joshua Gottlieb joshuagottlieb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 16:23:11 UTC 2007

Ok, so I'm a noob at all this.  Now I have tried to do a good deal of
reading on the forums and what not trying to get a feel for the recommended
hardware etc.

I'm trying to build a box from scratch, specifically for mythtv.  Originally
I had planned on getting a Hauppauge PVR-350 so I could have the MPEG2
decryption on the card.  This seemed like the ideal solution and I could get
very low end hardware as all the work would be done by the card.  However,
then I saw various comments about how the card is being phased out, soon to
be not supported etc, etc...

So I started doing more research and noticed that there are a few small form
factor motherboards that have TV-outs and built-in MPEG2 decryption, so I
thought maybe that would be a good path, but there didn't seem to be very
many folks having used the newer hardware.

Anyway, what I'm trying to do is get advice from the experienced folks on
here to setup a good solid mythtv system.

I don't really need dual tuner right now, but might in the future.  I don't
need HD support and most likely won't in the foreseeable future.

So if someone were just going to build a mythtv system and didn't need HD,
what would the general best hardware be?

I'm looking for something that is not going to be crazy difficult to setup
as well.  So hardware that works well and is well supported would be
preferred.  That said, I am a pretty solid Linux user and would probably be
building this under the latest Ubuntu distro.

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

And yes, I apologize for asking what is surely a much too frequently asked
question, but I just haven't been able to come to a good conclusion based on
what I've read so far in the forums...

Joshua