[mythtv-users] OT: Hardware failure

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 14:23:55 UTC 2007

On 7/25/07, Andrew Burgess <aab at cichlid.com> wrote:

> Booting from the IDE overheats it but booting from the knoppix cd doesn't?

I'm not sure Eric has tried booting from a Knoppix CD.  That is what I tend
to use when I destroy things (in the last couple of years I've managed to
remove the password file and break /lib/libdl-2.6.so [try that one its
fun...]).  But I could see there being a difference because one is obviously
getting things off of the disk faster than the CD.

Q: Are we working with and IDE drive and do we know whether it is using DMA
xfers?  (Is this a BIOS setting?)

I did look at the UltimateBootCD listing and it does look like it has some
CPU benchmarks that could be used to test the CPU integrity and possible
overheating (haven't tried using them however -- YMMV).

Robert