[mythtv-users] Using Microsoft Access as a front-end to the MythTV database: HOWTO

David Segall david at segall.net
Wed Jul 25 12:06:59 UTC 2007

Dave Phillips wrote:
> The $ signs were just a feeble protest against Microsoft's empire, but
> at least MySql is free for us still. (isn't it?)

You are right about it being off-topic but I can't resist a swipe at
MySQL AB. MySQL is only free for use with open source software
<http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/>. That means that if
someone is obliged to write a closed source program, for example to
obtain TV guide information, then users could be asked to pay for MySQL.
It is very unlikely that MySQL would pursue this but given the quantity
and quality of genuinely free database software
<http://database.profectus.com.au> I don't see why anyone uses MySQL.