[mythtv-users] OT: Hardware failure

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jul 25 02:55:01 UTC 2007

Eric Smith wrote:

> No luck.  I switched out the IDE ribbon and had the same results... able
> to boot the old fc3 drive but not a newer winxp or fc6 drive.  I also
> retried the fedora live cd while the working HDD was connected and was
> not able to get that to boot either. I triple checked all the pins and
> there is nothing visibly wrong anywhere.

Are the newer drives perhaps too large (in capacity I mean) for the BIOS
of that old mobo?

You can use "overlays", or create a small boot partition that the BIOS
can recognize, then turn control over to a kernel that can deal with
larger partitions.

Both these solutions would most likely wipe out any data on the drive
however.

BEWW