[mythtv-users] Moving recordings between storage directories

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Tue Jul 24 22:05:17 UTC 2007

* On Tue Jul 24, 2007 at 05:20:21PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 07/24/2007 04:48 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > ok, cool. Out of curiosity: so why the "groups" instead of just a list
> > of directories to look in with a "pecking order" for finding
> > recordings?
>
> To give you as much (by using multiple storage groups) or as little
> (using only one group called default) control over recording location as
> you like.  (Before it can be found in a directory, the file has to be
> recorded there.)

Exactly.  Searching for files during playback is easy.  The main beauty
(and logic) of Storage Groups is on the recording side.  I have 5 tuners
and 4 unique recording directories.  The master backend with (3) AverMedia
analog cards can write to two large NFS shares while the slave backend
with (2) air2pc ATSC cards can write to its own two local drives preferably
then will fallback to using the NFS shares if the local drives fill up.
During times when there are 3-4 recordings and a playback going on, it is
normal for all 4 drives to be in use with a single recording going to
each one.  Benefits of this have been explained quite a bit on the lists so
I won't get into that. :)

--
Chris