[mythtv-users] Nova-T 500 changed

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 19:25:19 UTC 2007

On 7/24/07, George Hazlewood <george at hazlewood.co.uk> wrote:

> In one PC I get various 'unknown PCI type 10' (I'm paraphrasing here)
> when booting and then can only see the 'unknown device 6800' in lspci.
> In another machine with Ubuntu I get no errors on boot but the same in
> lspci.

If lspci isn't recognizing things then it isn't a MythTV problem but a Linux
kernel problem.
I'd be curious to know where the device is showing up in /proc/bus/pci (if
at all).

Also, the /var/log/dmesg or /var/log/kern.log differences without and with
the card might be nice (not the entire logs -- just the differences).

Just off the top of my head I wonder if some manufacturers (I known nothing
about Nova-T -- URL?) are starting to push devices which implement some of
the HDCP (DRI) content protection shemes and Linux is ignoring them?  I've
always thought that this whole approach was flawed in that if I can get
access to the PCI bus or the HDMI cable I ought to be able to record the
digital signals to copy them.  As long as there is a way to feed an
identical signal into the bus/cable one ought to be able to play back the
content.  Of course the manufacturers are going to make this as difficult as
possible (if they want Hollywood's stamp of approval).

I wonder how long it will be before a group puts together a network of PS3's
programmed to crack HDCP codes... (or am I being naive about how simple this
should be).

Robert