[mythtv-users] Frontend won't run fullscreen!

Peter A. Jones peter_alan_jones at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 19:20:04 UTC 2007

On 7/24/07, Peter A. Jones <peter_alan_jones at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Long time lurker first time poster... and a little noobish.  I've googled,
> looked through the wikis and mailing list archives, etc, but I still
> wouldn't be surprised if this is a RTFM problem so sorry in advance.
>
> I'm on the home stretch (fingers crossed) of my first Myth install but have
> run into a problem with the way myth FE is displaying.  When I initially
> installed Myth (standard install following the Feisty community guide) the
> FE was displayed as you'd expect, at full screen, and working fine.  I
> wrestled with tuning and channel setup for a while and spent a while just
> looking through the pages and pages of FE settings, and at some point the FE
> went from showing at fullscreen to showing at a much lower resolution -
> maybe around 640x480 pix - overlaying the top left corner of the desktop
> (the Ubuntu menu bar is still visible above it, though).  I restarted the
> FE, rebooted, etc.  No dice.
>
> It's looks kind of like a window, but has no border or handles.  I can still
> control it with the keyboard when it has focus, and it appears to work,
> though playback shows black screen for video (this was working before).
> I've been through the frontend settings and can't find any settings awry
> AFAIK.
>
> Also of note: I've got an FX5200 running nvidia-glx with two potential
> monitors: VGA to an LCD that I am using to set up, and DVI to a Sony HDTV
> that I have just messed with a little bit.  I had both running (TwinView)
> for a while but disabled the TV and now only the LCD shows in the
> nvidia-settings GUI, as you'd expect.  Is it possible that the FE is sizing
> itself for the HDTV screen but displays on the LCD somehow?  (I'm not sure
> what resolution I last set the TV to but it could have been something
> small...)
>
> Any pointers?
>
> Could this be an xorg.conf problem?
>
> Would any more info be useful?  (Again, I'm pretty noobish so you might have
> to tell me where to find stuff ...)
>
> Thanks in advance - I can't wait to show the wife this thing working!
> Pete J
>

>Are you running a window manager?  Also, are you running
>Beryl/Composite?  These are both things that have been know to affect
>fullscreen.  You should run a window manager and avoid
>Beryl/Composite.

I'm using Gnome, and no Beryl/Composite - standard issue Feisty setup.  Thanks for the reply, Matt.

Also, thanks Bill - I am 99 percent sure that "Run Frontend in a Window" is not checked.  I'll look again tonight, though (I've make sillier mistakes in my life).  As an aside, if you do run it in a window does it have the normal handles and whatnot?  Mine is borderless and pinned to the top left of the desktop.)  I should really post a screen cap tonight...

Pete