[mythtv-users] OT: Hardware failure

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 15:44:30 UTC 2007

On 7/24/07, Eric Smith <erictsmith at gmail.com> wrote:

> Haha, I know I said i had a hard time getting rid of old hardware... but
> that's just ridiculous :).  Did you in some way compare my XP 2500+ to a
> Pentium 75Mhz? :)

If it has protected independent process address spaces (and kernel) its a
"real" computer.  If it runs Linux that's even better.  I tend to draw lines
between the '86, the Pentium and the Pentium Pro.  I ran dual PPro
motherboards from '97 thru '05 with both Win2K (desktop) and Linux (web
server) and they were perfectly functional machines.

And yes, I was poking a bit of fun at "old" motherboards... Beauty is in the
eye of the beholder and all that...

Now getting back to Paul's comments which may apply here.  Is the "newer PCI
voltages" issue a 5V vs 3.3V problem?  The bus mastering issue raises some
latent memories and I think the MBOs usually had at least a couple of bus
master slots (but I'd have to check).

Alternatively, I could find a case for the PPro MBO with 4 PCI slots.  Its
got the voltage regulators on the board so I presume the processor and PCI
bus(?) are running at the lower voltage.  Guess in that situation the
Gateway P75 would have to be turned into a router or web cache machine.

Robert