[mythtv-users] MythMusic dynamic sorting

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Jul 24 09:48:16 UTC 2007

Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 2/25/07, Paul Harrison <mythtv at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>> Robert wrote:

>>> I'd be interested something similar to this too.  Sometimes I want to
>>> search by author->album->song, but other times by album->author->song
>>> for compilation albums.  In the same way that in iTunes you can select
>>> "All authors" then get a list of all albumns.
>>>
>>> I've not found a way to do it though - but tbh, I've not looked very
>>> hard either.
>>>

>>> Robert.
>>>

>> I've been sitting on a patch that allows you to browse your music any
>> which way you want. At the top level you can view a list of all artists,
>> albums, genres or tracks. You can filter the list by entering some text
>> in the edit at the top of the screen. So if you enter 'A' then only the
>> items that start with 'A' are shown so it is quick to find what you
>> want. You can then move up a level so if you start in the Artists and
>> select one you can them view all the albums, genres, or tracks by that
>> artist etc. You can choose to view the lists as text items or as images
>> which is great for the albums list if you have cover art for them. I got
>> maybe 80-90% finished and then decided I wasn't 100% happy with it :-(
>> and then I got distracted doing other things. I've never updated it to
>> work with the DB schema change either so will need some changes to get
>> it working again.
>>
>> What I  may do if it's easy enough to fix after the schema change and
>> there is enough interest is post the patch on trac as a work in progress
>> patch for people to try and maybe we can salvage something out of it,
>> even if it's only an Album Art viewer or something? One problem I can
>> see in doing this is if you ask 10 people how the music browsing should
>> be done you will probably get 10 different answers :-)
>>

> Paul, what ever became of your patch?

I did briefly try to update it to work with the new DB schema but
managed to comprehensively break it and like I said before I wasn't 100%
happy with it when it _was_ working so didn't want to spend too much
time on it. If I get some time later today I'll take another stab at it
and see if I can at least get it working again so I can take some screen
shots so that anyone interested can take a look and provide some feed
back on whether it is worth continuing development on it.

Paul H.