[mythtv-users] Directv with usb 2 serial adapters

Tim Litwiller timlitw at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 15:16:47 UTC 2007

> Yep, so you can see the driver loading there, but there is nowhere that
> it attaches to the usb device.   You can see in my dmesg after loading
> the pl2303 driver that it actually attaches to a device file.
>
> drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for pl2303
> pl2303 6-2:1.0: pl2303 converter detected
> *usb 6-2: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0*
> usbcore: registered new interface driver pl2303
> drivers/usb/serial/pl2303.c: Prolific PL2303 USB to serial adaptor driver
>
> I'm still not sure you have a prolific device.   Where did you buy it?
> Here is the model # that I bought.  It works very well.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/GWC-INC-UC-320-Serial-Converter/dp/tech-data/B00007AP2P/ref=de_a_smtd/104-5325225-7522323

I am starting to doubt it also. But that is what the windows driver disk
says it is, and it looks exactly like the cord in that link. Hmm, I'll have
try them between 2 windows machines and see if maybe they are just defective
cords.

oh, The cd that came with it has a pl2303 linux driver source code file for
redhat 7.3,8, & 9.  Do you suppose there is any chance it would work better
than the module that is in Fedora Core 6 - I'm guessing it would be older.