[mythtv-users] Transcoding questions

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Mon Jul 23 05:12:54 UTC 2007

Dave,

I'd recommend Nuvexport with the mencoder option (run: nuvexport
--mencoder). I currently "transcode" episodes of The Simpsons down to around
150MB each at very great quality. Nuvexport will also get rid of the
commercials. Also, since it runs outside of mythtv (for now), but since it
reads the mythtv database, you can select the shows you want to transcode,
and still have the originals untouched in your mythtv recordings section.
nuvexport can transcode to ipod formats (run it without mencoder) as well.
Just save the transcodes to your videos folder and play them from there.

That's my two cents
-Steve