[mythtv-users] PC5500 HDTV card & Myth TV & RCN cable

Chris Ribe chrisribe at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 04:37:36 UTC 2007

On 7/22/07, Kevin J. Cummings <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:

> , because the cable going into the 350 has been split at
> least 3-4 times before getting to it,

You probably need to fix this problem.  The easiest and most hands off way
might be to order a hi-def cable box from RCN, let them worry about making
sure the signal is strong enough at your terminal to recieve HD channels,
then give it back after a month.

Unfortunately, that's an ethically questionable tactic (if it was Comcast, I
would say fuck 'em, but I would feel bad about screwing over RCN).

> With the pcHDTV 5500, I'm able to pick up more channels digitally than I
> can with analog!  One notable exception is I cannot pick up WFXT-DT with
> this setup, but I can pick up a number of Providence stations including
> WNAC-DT

That is bizarre.  The WFXT transmitter is in south Newton, so I'd guess that
you are suffering from multipath issues.  I'd also guess that your antenna
is pointed in a south-southeasterly direction, and pointing it at Boston
might get you WFXT at the expense of those Providence stations.

> The dropouts might have something to do with this message from mplayer:
>
> Your computer is too slow to play this content.
>
> OK, I admit it.  I'm probably pushing the envelope with this computer,
> an AMD2600+ and a GeForce MX400 video card (running the nvidia Xorg
> driver) running with 1.5GB of DDR pc2700 ram.

You aren't "pushing it," your video card is just plain inadequate.  The
processor is borderline, but may be fine with XvMC enabled (once you get a
video card that supports it).

--
TV/IT Engineer
WCJB-TV Gainesville, FL