[mythtv-users] mediaMVP or mini-ITX?

Hans P Halvorson (hhalvors@Princeton.EDU) hhalvors at Princeton.EDU
Sun Jul 22 20:19:40 UTC 2007

I could use a recommendation about a MythTV frontend: Do I go ahead and get a mediaMVP (for use with mvpmc), or do I save my pennies to build a mini-ITX box (for use with MiniMyth or something similar)? This would be my only MythTV frontend; my backend is on a Intel E4300 (1.8GHz) with 2GB RAM and 750MB HD, running Ubuntu. Essentially, I want to replace the old TiVo series 2 to which dear wife is addicted -- i.e. to play recordings, fast forward, rewind, pause, schedule recordings (while at the television). By the way, I am not much concerned with High Definition versus SD.

Also, the frontend needs to be wireless. The cnet review says that the wireless mediaMVP is flaky in terms of connection strength. Would it be better to get a wired mediaMVP, and to connect with an ethernet-wireless gaming adapter?

So, does mvpmc do enough now to make it a satisfactory replacement for basic TiVo functionality, or should I go with mini-ITX? Any recommendations and advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Hans