[mythtv-users] Myth Video (XINE) for DVD

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 22 15:16:18 UTC 2007

>From: "Razza"
>
>All,
>
>Looking for a little advice, i'm running the latest and greatest MythDora
>(which is fantastic!) as a frontend. I have two questions -
>
>1.       What are the pro's/con's of using .iso's for your DVD collection?
>
>2.       Why do some .iso's play no problem in Xine and some i get "there
>is
>no demux plug in......" when I have created them all equal (e.g. DVDShrink
>followed by 'mkisofs -dvd-video -o /destination.iso /source'?
>

>Thanks

I've never had problems with iso files in xine as long as the command line
specifies dvd://path/to/file.iso.  In the filetypes entry for iso in MythTV
I have the file specfied as dvd:/%s and they always seem to work.

I recall that, as one point I had a problem where mkisofs with -dvd-video
was creating lower case directory names such as video_ts rather than
VIDEO_TS unless I used the -R option.  A number of things tend to not like
that.  However if that was your issue and xine didn't like that, it'd fail
on all of them.

For what it's worth, I know of no advantages to having them in iso files as
apposed to directories with a VIDEO_TS sub-directory.

Tom