[mythtv-users] Lowest cost of a quality MythBox

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Jul 22 13:45:44 UTC 2007

Joshua Lippiner wrote:
> I know that there are a wealth of considerations when developing a
> MythBox, but if you were going to start from the ground up and build
> a box that will ONLY be used for MythTV applications, what do you
> think the configuration and cost would be for an analog (non-HD) and
> a digital (HD) MythBox would be?  Do you think that a MythBox can be
> created by sub $100?

I'm assuming "MythBox" means a machine that can run as a combo FE/BE.

I can only speak for USA prices, and I'm not sure where you are, but:

No, not for $100.

At least not starting from scratch and paying retail prices.

I suppose it's theoretically possible to find a "junker" of a sub-2Ghz.
PC in a dumpster or a company giveaway, or some surplus outfit. You
would still need a capture device or two, and even the cheapest frame
buffer cards or low-cost digital units would start to push you towards
the $100 mark, even if the rest of the PC was free. You might also have
to invest in a decent video card.

There are several sub-$100 frontend solutions, but they would require an
operating backend to connect to.

Even if you have a well-stocked junk drawer and closet, I think $200 to
$250 would be a pretty bare minimum for a system that could do SD, and
you would need to go higher for an HD-playback capable system.

Myth systems are really not designed to save you money, they are
designed to give you a much better system for about the same money as
the commercial solutions.

BEWW