[mythtv-users] Directv with usb 2 serial adapters

Tim Litwiller timlitw at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 03:05:18 UTC 2007

On 7/21/07, Nick Rout <nick at rout.co.nz> wrote:

> Tim Litwiller wrote:
> > I need help from someone who has done this before.
> >
> > This might be more a linux question than mythtv question but it
> > relates to my mythtv setup
> >
> > I am running fedora core 6
> > with 2 directv D12-300 STB's
> >
> > I followed the wiki and got usb to serial adapter cord and nul modem
> > cables that are the same chip as the recommended and I don't get the
> > /dev/ttyUSB* device when I plug them in.
> >
> > So I enabled the 1 serial port on the mother board - and tried that,
> > but I am guessing that I need to specify somewhere the speed to
> > communicate thru the port.
> >
> > Is anyone here willing to  step me thru diagnosing why the usb->
> > serial(rs232) ports to initialize correctly? and the see if we can get
> > the directv.pl script to make the STB respond?
>
> I guess the first step is to run dmesg, then plug the device in and run
> dmesg again to see if the kernel is recognising them.
>
> lsmod and lsusb are also your friends.

# lsusb
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 4348:5523
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 413c:2003 Dell Computer Corp.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c03e Logitech, Inc. Premium Optical Wheel Mouse
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0bc7:0004 X10 Wireless Technology, Inc. X10 Receiver

this doesn't come in /var/log/dmesg but it come up in /var/log/messages when
I plug the usb cord in

Jul 21 22:00:33 localhost kernel: usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using
uhci_hcd and address 5
Jul 21 22:00:33 localhost kernel: usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1
choice