[mythtv-users] OT: Adding more network connections

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Sat Jul 21 09:37:58 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I have a netgear router (DG834) which has 4 network ports. I'd like to
add more ports for extra machines (actually audio devices like the
Squeezebox). Should I just buy a network switch to add more ports? I'm
assuming that I plug a switch into one of the ports and then the
computer that was in the router will now plug into the switch along with
anything extra that I add. If that's the thing to do, what do I need to
look for in a network switch? Will my router simply see everything as a
different device as thought the switch didn't exist?

Thanks everyone
Damian