[mythtv-users] MMS as input?

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 05:46:47 UTC 2007

On 7/20/07, Russ Dill <russ.dill at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Exactly.  We are looking to record from a mms camera at certain times.
> >
> > cron and mplayer -dumpstream and a script to insert it in the 'recorded'
> > table? (assuming thats where you want to view it, it may be better placed
> > in mythvideo). Would work as a hack I guess.
> >

> suppose such a hack would work, but I want to be able to sit down in
> front of a frontend and go to channel 200, or whatever channel I
> assign, and start watching a live stream of a TV channel

Since this thread started, I have been thinking about this.

First, I need to know which IP Cameras give an MMS feed.  I thought
most used crappy webUI stuff to provide video and control.  I would
love to have a go at this stuff, just for fun.

Second, as the first person stated, surely we just use some software
(VLC) to convert the MMS stream to something that myth understands
such as whatever IPTV normally is and then provide that as an input in
the backend.  Then I would simply have a guide that gave me a day
split by the hour so I have 24 shows per day, and tell myth to record
every showing but keep 48 recordings.  This would give me 48 hours
worth of history, which shouldn't consume that much disk given the low
resolution of most of these cameras.  With this setup, you simply
switch to the IP camera input from live TV to see what is currently
happening.

Does any of that make sense?  It does in my head :P

Cheers,
Whytey