[mythtv-users] Video import .avi stops playing

Lan Barnes lan at falleagle.net
Thu Jul 19 22:58:27 UTC 2007

On Thu, July 19, 2007 4:27 am, Nick Rout wrote:
> Lan Barnes wrote:
>> I imported one of our commercial DVDs using k9copy, which made a 10 G
>> avi
>> file. This plays nicely ... and then stops, always at the same place.
>> I've tried mounting the file on loop as an iso9660 and no go. I suspect
>> there are several sub files and I'm just stopping at the first menu
>> point,
>> but I'm baffled on how to fix it.
>> Any hints?
> k9copy does not produce avi's as far as I am aware. it reduces a DVD
> from 9G to fit on a 5 G (single layer)  DVD and reproduces the menus
> onto the smaller format. It should produce an iso file which will play
> like a  DVD.

Yes. I almost certainly misused k9copy. I didn't want another DVD, I just
wanted the movie to be available over the network.

Thus I elected not to check the box for copy menus, and k9copy defaulted
to saving the file with a .avi type. As I said, when I put it in my videos
directory, it "just played" ... up to a point.

I have a feeling it ripped the DVD's chapters but didn't give me a
structure to move from one to another.

I have a friend who uses Myth who rips to .iso's, mounts them on loop, and
then plays them with xine. Perhaps I should try that.

FWIW, mytharchive always tells me "no jobs to do" and returns. Otherwise I
would happily use it -- that's what it's for AFAICT. I have no idea why it
fails ... maybe permissions somewhere or the like. I'm not very adept at
locating the myth logs, and tend to flail around a lot. I apologize for my

To complicate things, the Padres are in a season-long pennant race (I'm in
San Diego), and the family doesn't want to give me access to the box to do
the concentrated work I need to in order to understand it. Myth as it is
is too successful in my house for them to let me improve it.

Lan Barnes

SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer