[mythtv-users] [slightly OT] HDTV cpu

Steve MacLaren scram69 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 16:04:39 UTC 2007

On 7/11/07, Ian Forde <ian at duckland.org> wrote:

> I'd go with the Athlon 64 X2 3600+.  I'm playing back 1080i and 720p
> (admittedly downscaled for now) just fine on my Athlon 64 3200+.  The
> 2nd core would definitely help for commflagging more than the slightly
> higher rating would...
>
>         -I
>
> On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 01:06 -0400, Daniel Agar wrote:
> > I know this question is asked over and over again but I'm a little
> unclear
> > if a dual core cpu would be better for this case. So is a single core
> cpu
> > with a higher "rating" actually faster than a dual core cpu with a lower
> > rating?
> > Which would I be better off with playing back and commflagging 720p and
> > 1080i from firewire.
> > AMD Athlon 64 3800+ or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+
> >
> > Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
> >
> > Daniel

I'm currently running with the AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ for broadcast HDTV
playback.  Having the second core available for commflagging is nice as
during HD playback, Xorg keeps one core between 90 and 100%.

Unfortunately there are too many boldface "?" on the wiki page to know for
sure if this is the performance one should expect for this CPU.  However the
strange thing is that I see no difference using XvMC or not.  I have an
Nvidia 6200 using the proprietary nvidia drivers (see the nvidia logo during
login).  So my results may not be "typical".

I'm using a DFI Infinity NF Ultra II M2 motherboard.  Would overclocking be
an option