[mythtv-users] CielPlus Sky Digibox (UK) Addon decoder card.

Ant Daniel antdaniel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 11:34:31 UTC 2007

On 18/07/07, Razza <ray at brambletree.net> wrote:
> Nick Rout wrote on 18 July 2007 11:20:
> > I do kinda wonder what Sky seems to think of these devices. It seems to
> > me, that if they work how i think they do, there is the possibility to
> > watch as many different channels in your house as you can squeeze down
> > the sire to various players. Around here "Multiroom" - in reality just
> > an extra decoder - costs money - just so the kids can watch music and
> > cartoons while parents watch the drama.
>
> Surely you will only be able to pull the channels of any given mux? Your LNB
> cant tune to every mux.

Most recent Sky installs should have a dual or Quad LNB, but (from
what I understand) that would mean two decoders and two ceilplus
cards.
You would be able to record multiple channels on one mux, I don't know
how the mux is done in Sky, but I suspect this is what makes the
multi-streams for various channel feeds (multi Sky-News, 15 min start
times for movies, etc) anyone know if a mux covers more than one
channel?

Channel changes are done via the UHF with a built in remote, much like
the hacked TiVo changer that did the rounds.

I am extremly interested in this, is a better solution then DVB-S
cards with a Dragon CAM, and not suceptable to Sky encryption changes,
but I wonder if Sky have a way of upgrading the firmware and closing
the socket down?

I can't quite tell from the description, but doesn anyone know if this
can do Box Office subscription, etc.?

Here's hoping they can install it, test it on the Grundig box as I
suspect it might be the widest used box as it has an svideo output. If
I can get that I would probably get one and start playing around with
it myself.