[mythtv-users] Can I change the default screen?

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 00:29:43 UTC 2007

On 7/17/07, DaveD <mythtv at guiplot.com> wrote:

> I have a dual head Nvidia 5200 with DVI driving my 17" monitor and
> analog (15-pin) driving my 1080p LCD TV (actually a 37" monitor with
> external tuner).  With the dual head, single card, I can only have one
> display with two screens and only one of the screens gets the video
> overlay, screen 0.  I would like that to be the TV so I can adjust
> picture settings (brightness, contrast, etc) and take some of the load
> off of the CPU during video playback.  I am running KDE with two
> separate desktops, same user.  I thought I could do multiseat, but found
> that only works with dual DISPLAYs, not just dual SCREENs.  In other
> words, multiseat (different user on each display) requires dual video
> cards, which I can not accommodate (box is full!).
>
> Sending screen 0 (DISPLAY :0.0) to the TV poses some problems when  my
> wife is watching the TV and I am working on the computer using the
> monitor on screen 1 (DISPLAY :0.1).  If I try to reboot, the logout
> prompt is displayed on the TV, which I don't see because the TV input is
> set to Tuner instead of PC.  If I put in a CDROM, the "What do you want
> to do" prompt, again, is sent to screen 0.  I have to wait for a
> commercial (remember commercials?) to switch the TV input to PC so I can
> see the prompt and respond.  There are LOTs of cases where things are
> sent to screen 0 by default.
>
> What I would like to do is change my default display to be on screen 1.
> I would like the login prompt to be displayed on display :0.1 and my
> second desktop to be on :0.0.  Anyone heard of this?  Is it possible?
> Is there a better list to post this question to (I tried KDE forum but
> no luck)?
>
> DaveD

I had a related problem.  I have two displays hooked to an nvidia 6200 card,
one on the DVI  port and one on the VGA port.

The nvidia driver defaults to using the VGA port as screen 0.

In order to force the driver to use the display attached to the DVI port as
screen 0, you need to add the following to your xorg.conf file in the Device
section.

"UseDisplayDevice" "DFP,CRT"

Tom