[mythtv-users] Help me choose: pcHDTV HD-5500 or AirStar-HD5000AV-PCI

Erich Newell erich.newell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 22:00:08 UTC 2007

I would recommend neither of these. I have a pcHDTV which does work
perfectly...but it generates unnecessary overhead on the system. I
have since acquired an HDHomeRun which is  a network attached,
dedicated appliance. It can tune / stream two different channels
simultaneously to as many systems as your bandwidth will allow
(~20Mbit per stream). Quite usable for multiple endpoints with a
100MBit switched network.

For my purposes, I have one input connected to an OTA HD (ATSC)
antenna and the other connected to my cable TV (256QAM). It works
excellent and offloading the overhead to the appliance allows me to
leverage some of the older hardware I have laying around for displays.
Its also supported natively in mythTV.

If you opt to go with the pcHDTV anyway, let me know and I'll sell you
mine at a significant discount.

--
"A man is defined by the questions that he asks; and the way he goes
about finding the answers to those questions is the way he goes