[mythtv-users] MythArchive - blank title text

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jul 18 20:15:49 UTC 2007

On 07/18/2007 11:04 AM, ns wrote:

>> On 07/14/2007 01:56 PM, Paul Harrison wrote:
>>
>>> then I suggest we keep them as they are and I will somehow work
>>> around the problem in MythArchive.
>>
>> Replacing FreeFont fonts with another license-compatible font may
>> be the "easiest" fix that doesn't involve custom font
>> modifications. I don't know how the Bitstream Vera license would
>> mix with Myth's GPL, though, and don't know of any GPL'ed fonts
>> other than FreeFont, so this may not be possible.
>
> For a GPL font, I can suggest RedHat Liberation as an alternative to
>  FreeFont: https://www.redhat.com/promo/fonts/

I checked the font and it reports a height pretty close to that of the
old FreeSans:

$ ./fonttest.py Testing lib.png LiberationSans-Regular.ttf 19
Font actual size (for "Testing") is 63 by 22

$ ./fonttest.py Testing old.png old/FreeSans.ttf 19
Font actual size (for "Testing") is 64 by 21

Perhaps someone could test the font with MythArchive to see if it's a
drop-in replacement.  Since it's not identical, it still may not fit.

I also sent an e-mail to the maintainer of the FreeFont package to see
if the new face metrics are as desired.  I'll let you know his response.

Also, the TTFFont class in libs/libmythtv/ttfont.cpp calculates line
height using glyph metrics (which are always correct), not the face
metrics (which have changed in the new font to not useful values), so
that's why captions are unaffected by the font change. Would it be
difficult to create an interface between Python and the C++ code to
allow the use of TTFFont from MythArchive since PIL doesn't provide
access to glyph metrics?

Mike