[mythtv-users] OT: Persistent DVB node

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jul 18 18:52:18 UTC 2007

On 07/18/2007 02:28 PM, Razza wrote:
> Razza wrote on 15 July 2007 15:26:
>
>> Fantastic, Nick you are a genius! The symlink concept works on the DVB-
>> T card!
>>
>> 2. Why can I only set up 7 dvb cards in Myth? (maybe 8 as I think the
>> counting starts from 0) as this will only allow for 4 sources using
>> this
>> method
>> 3. Is there any way to increase the number of DVB cards Myth will
>> accept?
>>
> Not seen a definitive response on why you can only set 8 cards (0 to 7) in
> myth? and more importantly if you can increase this number!

The proper approach is to use udev to ensure each card type always gets
the same kernel number (and, funny enough, could be done using a script
very similar to the one you provided for "post-udev" linking, among
other approaches).

Nick's approach is a good approach for the user who doesn't care to
learn the proper usage of udev.  (Or for a person who doesn't feel like
teaching how udev is used on the list. :)

Rewriting Myth so that a "power" Myth user (with more than 4 DVB cards
in his system) doesn't have to learn udev is not going to happen.  ;)

http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

For the script-based approach, see, specifically, "Using external
programs to name devices" at
http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html#sysfsalt .  This
approach is used, for example, with optical drives (in a rule file like
/etc/udev/rules.d/35-helper.rules using cdsymlink_helper.sh, which is
probably in /lib/udev) to create symlinks, but could just as easily be
used to create the original device names.

Mike