[mythtv-users] Can I change the default screen?

Chris Ribe chrisribe at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 15:32:47 UTC 2007

On 7/18/07, DaveD <mythtv at guiplot.com> wrote:

> I have a dual head Nvidia 5200 with DVI driving my 17" monitor and
> analog (15-pin) driving my 1080p LCD TV (actually a 37" monitor with
> external tuner).  With the dual head, single card, I can only have one
> display with two screens and only one of the screens gets the video
> overlay, screen 0.  I would like that to be the TV so I can adjust
> picture settings (brightness, contrast, etc) and take some of the load
> off of the CPU during video playback.  I am running KDE with two
> separate desktops, same user.  I thought I could do multiseat, but found
> that only works with dual DISPLAYs, not just dual SCREENs.  In other
> words, multiseat (different user on each display) requires dual video
> cards, which I can not accommodate (box is full!).
>
> Sending screen 0 (DISPLAY :0.0) to the TV poses some problems when  my
> wife is watching the TV and I am working on the computer using the
> monitor on screen 1 (DISPLAY :0.1).  If I try to reboot, the logout
> prompt is displayed on the TV, which I don't see because the TV input is
> set to Tuner instead of PC.  If I put in a CDROM, the "What do you want
> to do" prompt, again, is sent to screen 0.  I have to wait for a
> commercial (remember commercials?) to switch the TV input to PC so I can
> see the prompt and respond.  There are LOTs of cases where things are
> sent to screen 0 by default.
>
> What I would like to do is change my default display to be on screen 1.
> I would like the login prompt to be displayed on display :0.1 and my
> second desktop to be on :0.0.  Anyone heard of this?  Is it possible?
> Is there a better list to post this question to (I tried KDE forum but
> no luck)?

Have you tried going through xorg.conf and just changing all of the relevant
0s to 1s and vice versa?

Actually, the first thing i would try would be to change these lines in the
Server Layout section:

    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>     Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"

    Screen      1  "Screen0" 0 0
    Screen      0  "Screen1" LeftOf "Screen0"

--
TV/IT Engineer
WCJB-TV Gainesville, FL
cribe at wcjb.com