[mythtv-users] A prediction is coming true, faster than I thought

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jul 18 14:26:24 UTC 2007

Dan Ritter wrote:

> Not only that, but.
>
> (I've been following this case, along with many other similar
> cases, more-or-less since the beginning.)
>
> When Foster won her case and asked for attorney's fees, the RIAA
> tried to argue that she was asking for too much. So Foster asked
> what the RIAA was paying for their lawyers. RIAA didn't want to
> say, but the court compelled them.
>
> The 100K that Foster asked for is based on the hourly fees of
> the RIAA lawyers times the hours billed by Foster's lawyers.
>
> I believe the apropos phrase here is "hoist by their own
> petard".

Even better, the "fees" the RIAA was paying were almost certainly
accounting fictions, allowing them to book "expenses" that may well not
have anything to do with actual out-of-packet costs.

But the claimed charges better match what they tell they IRS are
"expenses", so they were hoisted twice.

But will they learn? I doubt it.

BEWW