[mythtv-users] A prediction is coming true, faster than I thought

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jul 18 14:06:08 UTC 2007

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 10:48:02PM -0700, Bob Sully wrote:
>> Agreed.  I don't have any problem purchasing songs, but WITHOUT DRM of any
>> sort-this is why I spend the $10/month for eMusic, even though their
>> selection is limited.  Until recently, anything you bought from iTunes was
>> encumbered with DRM which limited your ability as to what player you can
>> use it on and the number of personal copies you can make
>
> While it's admittedly not a perfect solution: burn to CD, re-rip to MP3.

Actually, though there is a reasonable limit as to how many times you
can burn a given playlist to CD directly, making even a trivial change
to that playlist allows another set of burns. The resulting CD are
playable/rippable by anything, and do not suffer from MP3 degradation.

Obviously Apple, at the time, had to offer some sort of DRM in order to
get the rights to the art. I think they arrived at a reasonable solution.

The fact that they are starting to offer DRM-free files (albeit at a
higher price) shows that the position of the copyright holders may be
softening.

BEWW