[mythtv-users] A prediction is coming true, faster than I thought

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 14:03:09 UTC 2007

On 7/18/07, Bob Sully <rcs at malibyte.net> wrote:
> Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 13:28:34 -0700
>
> On Jul 17, 2007, at 1:15 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> >> Have you ever heard of someone driving to a record store instead of
> >> DLing a song because they were worried about being sued by the RIAA? I
> >> haven't.
>
> > It took the RIAA a long time to figure out that a lot of people were
> > pirating music because it was convenient, not because it was cheap.
> > I haven't felt the urge download MP3s off any of the file sharing
> > networks since iTunes came on the scene.  It's not worth the trouble
> > of trying to track down a decent illegal copy when I can buy a
> > legitimate one for $0.99 with a few mouse clicks.
>

> Agreed.  I don't have any problem purchasing songs, but WITHOUT DRM of any
> sort-this is why I spend the $10/month for eMusic, even though their
> selection is limited.  Until recently, anything you bought from iTunes was
> encumbered with DRM which limited your ability as to what player you can
> use it on and the number of personal copies you can make (I find that my
> mp3 CDs get scratched up pretty quickly after being tossed around in the
> car for a while - so I make new discs every few months).   I can grip
> songs from my CDs to mp3, ogg, or whatever format without these
> limitations.  When all downloadable music is unencumbered, people will
> have no problems buying it.

eMusic limited? my saved list there grows faster than my 75song/mo
account can handle!

of course my tastes veer more towards what eMusic has than what iTunes has.
another option I like is www.yourmusic.com which is a Columbia online
service. They do $6.99 for all cd's and you create a queue for your
monthly mailed cd so none of that having to mail a cd back thing. I've
been really happy with their service and it makes getting cd's from
the Big 3 cheaper.

oh, right, back to topic, "die RIAA die!", or something like that.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!