[mythtv-users] CielPlus Sky Digibox (UK) Addon decoder card.

Alan Hourihane alanh at fairlite.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 17 20:08:09 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 15:32 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> I am intrigued to know if this would work with a New Zealand Sky decoder.
> Some of the local ones are PACE, but there are other brands too.
>
> Some questions:
>
> 1. Am I right in saying that these cards intercept the mpeg2 stream after
> the sky box has unencrypted it?
>
> 2. It sounds from what I have read that you then need to filter PIDS in
> software to see the channels you want. Does this mean that the sky box
> unencrypts the whole stream an a multiplex and then filters PIDS (and
> cielplus gets the stream before filtering?)
>
> 3. If so this would seem more amenable to implementation as a DVB style
> device than a V4L type device.

Having looked at the current DVB drivers, it does look like a perfect
match.

The DVB USB layer already has the firmware uploading code for Cypress
chips, so that part is dealt with. We could also use one of the existing
drivers to base things off.

But, and it's a big but, without the Cypress firmware for this device,
we're stuck. As all the other DVB cards have firmware. I've asked
Cielplus for this, but haven't heard back yet.

Alan.