[mythtv-users] OT: Stream Music around the house

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Jul 17 17:31:55 UTC 2007

On Jul 17, 2007, at 9:54 AM, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Chris Ribe wrote:
>
>> would be okay with 3m waves,  the obvious reason not to choose the FM
>> transmitter approach is the sound quality.
>
> As opposed to MP3 being lossless ?

Depending on the bitrate, MP3 will still carry 20 to 20,000 Hz.  FM
doesn't transmit anything above 15,000 Hz.  If you happen to be in
your 40s or older, though, you may not be able to hear those
frequencies anyhow, so the point may be moot.  Hint: The flyback
transformer whine from a CRT television is at just under 15 kHz.  If
you can't hear that anymore, don't let anyone at your local stereo
shop try to sell you tweeters. ;)

FM also involves the loss of some stereo separation and the addition
of a significant amount of hiss.  A lot of FM stations also use heavy
compression, but I don't know if the little home transmitters contain
any sort of compressor or limiter.

> When working in the shop, mowing the lawn, cooking dinner, etc, the
> loss
> isn't going to be noticable over the ambiant noise, crapping acousics,
> sub-optimal speaker, etc.

That's true enough.