[mythtv-users] A prediction is coming true, faster than I thought

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jul 17 17:07:27 UTC 2007

Andrew Close wrote:

> i read a headline on Digg the other day that said something about the
> RIAA spending several thousand dollars to sue a single mom for ~$300.
> maybe i'm misstating that since i only read the headline.  but it
> sounded like something silly that an idiotic bureaucracy would
> pursue...

The RIAA has a lot of attorneys on staff, that they are paying anyway,
so their incremental cost to pursue this sort of crap is nothing. Add to
that the fact that all those attorneys have to justify their jobs...

You have to be careful of headlines containing phrases like "single
mom", it's a loaded phrase that has nothing to do with whether the
individual broke the law or not, it just immediately gains sympathy from
some readers. Would you have interpreted it differently if the writer
had said "unwed mother"?

BEWW