[mythtv-users] OT: Stream Music around the house

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Tue Jul 17 14:18:51 UTC 2007

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Damian wrote:

> I guess my other choices are running speaker cable around the house or
> transmitting a kind of radio channel as Jack is suggesting. I know
> nothing about the latter.

Let me put in a plug for the Ramsey Electronics FM Transmitter (or any
transmitter for that matter).

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=FM10C
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=FM25B

The analog version if $44.95, the completely digitally tuned is $139.95. I
have an earlier version of the digitalyl tuned one, and it is well worth the
money. Of course, it's a kit, but if you've ever soldered it's not hard.

How it works is fairly simple. I have the tape-out jacks on my stereo
connected to the transmitter, so anything I am listening to on the stereo is
re-broadcast on a free FM frequency, which can be picked up on any FM radio
in about a 150 foot radius (and that's only because I'm in NY, and their
aren't many free frequencies available.)

Now you don't neeed special headphones. Any $9 FM walkman becomes portable
headphones, as does any portable radio, clock-radio, the old Aiwa
Mini-system in our kitchen, the waterproof shower radio, etc. If the family
is watching a movie and you have to step away to atend to -- ahem --
"Personal Business", you can listen to the soundtrack and everyone doesn't
have to pause the movie for you.

Sometimes simple is best.