[mythtv-users] moving files from USB disk to mythtv/music

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 09:08:32 UTC 2007

On 17/07/07, Matt Flax <flatmax at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Strange question ... I have searched for an answer, but alas nothing yet ...
>
> I would like to copy music files from a USB hard disk. So I plug it into the
> mythtv box and I believe it automaounts ... wicked !
> Next I would like to use the frontend to copy the audio files to my mythtv
> music directory ...
> Can anyone let me know how this is done ?

I don't think you can use myth to do this.  You have to:

1. Copy the files manually to the mythtv music directory.  If you're
using ID3 tags for information then you don't need to be particularly
carefull about the directory structure.  If however you're using the
directory structure to define album, artist etc then it needs to match
the configuration on the mythmusic setup page.

2. Then scan for new music.

If you want to leave the music on the memory stick you can probably do
that too.  Just create a symbolic link from your mythmusic directory
to the USB mount point and scan for music, which will add the details
to the database.  You might have a problem with file permissions
though, depending on your mount options.