[mythtv-users] OT: Stream Music around the house

Jack McGee jack at greendesk.net
Tue Jul 17 00:34:01 UTC 2007

Damian wrote:

> As ever, cost is an issue. If the best solutions are expensive, I guess
> I could just wire metres of stereo cable around the house. That may even
> be the best option come to think of it.
My myth box is connected to 1980's model stereo, which I have wired it
to in-ceiling speakers I installed in all the rooms.  Simple volume
controls in each room.  Not a solution if you want different sources in
different rooms, or remote control of volume, but it is cheap and
effective. I used Audiosource speakers and they sound perfectly
acceptable to me.  Also got some Insignias from Best Buy for $40 for
above kitchen cabinets.

My Windows PC is connected via USB to a RCA Lyra, which is a 900 mhz box
transmitter  It shows as a sound card to the PC, and transmits to it's
own receiver, which has line level output for stereo.  I use this as a
second source into stereo and also to to get sounds to detached garage.
I paid about $20 for the Lyra transmitter and two receivers.

This is the poor mans way to get whole house audio.

I graduated from a Ramsey FM transmitter kit, connected to stereo, I
just listened on clock radios and table radios throughout house.