[mythtv-users] OT: Word of warning on Ubuntu Feisty + RAID 5/6

Mike Grusin mgrusin at flyingcircuits.com
Sat Jul 14 16:55:05 UTC 2007

> Hey everyone,
> 	I know there are several out there, both using Ubuntu, and
> using RAID 5
> or 5. Word of warning: It appears that the kernel used in Feisty has a
> bug (based on this LKML thread:
> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0702.3/1351.html), which
> can cause some issues if you have a drive in your raid array go off to
> pasture.
>
> In particular, if you try and run the array without full parity ( 1
> drive down in RAID5 or 2 in RAID6), the system will panic under light
> load.  DON'T PANIC. The data is all intact. Just boot off an earlier
> kernel (e.g. Edgy server CD), and replace the drive.
>
> I'm filing a bug on launch pad about this as we speak....

Thanks for the warning, I'll watch for this.  I've been running RAID5 under
Feisty for a few months, and the only serious problem I've had is that it
regularly boots up with the array missing a drive, which has to be re-added
manually (and takes a couple of hours to check).  I suspect there's an issue
in the startup scripts but don't know enough to troubleshoot it.

-Mike G.