[mythtv-users] USB Audio 5.1

Ginsu Squirrel ginsu.squirrel at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 01:00:11 UTC 2007

Willy Boyd wrote:
> On 7/12/07, the bcpino <bcpino at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi people!
>>
>> I am using my laptop box as Frontend which only has 2-channel audio... do
>> you know a USB device that is sold in USA, and has either 5.1 audio?? It
>> might also have digital out (optical preferred) since I have a receiver next
>> to t)he TV.
>>
>> Of course, it must be Linux-compatible... it's Linux, it's MythTV !!
>>

>> The BCPino
>>

> I've been using a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro for over a year
> with no problems.  It's USB, very small (about 1.5 inches long), and
> has an optical output.  It uses the ALSA usb driver that was already
> part of my kernel (Fedora 6).  It support digital passthrough (spdif),
> which is what you want.  I picked it up at CompUSA for about $30.

Has anyone ever used this USB 5.1 box?

http://www.betalinkco.com/content082128.html

They have a lot on ebay for about $30.  On the auction it says "Only
Right, Left channel can be conveyed in digital playback mode. In analog
playback mode, it supports 6 channel codec for analog playback."  Which
makes no sense to me.  So I wonder if this device works with the USB
alsa driver and if the 5.1 works with the digital out.